Below you will find a set of common CS scenarios and workflows for your customer support team to reference.
- Extend Order Trial Period
- Extend Drop-off Period
- Canceling an order
- Canceling an item in and order
- Price Adjustments
- Refunding a restocking fee
- Starting a trial period manually
- Contacting Blackcart Merchant Support
- Go to the order page within the Blackcart Merchant Portal.
- Click on “Select Actions" on the top right corner.
- Select “Extends Order Trial Period” from the drop down menu.
- Click the “Run Action” button.
- You will be given the option to set a new expiration date.
- Note: The date in the customizable field will automatically default to the current date, which is not the actual Try Period expiration date for the order. Refer to the countdown timer on the customer's Portal Page (accessible via the order page).
- Click into the date field, and select the extension date from the dropdown calendar.
- Check the "Notify customer" box to send an email to the customer informing them of the new try period.
- Click Run Action.
During the drop off period, the customer must drop off their package with the designated carrier using the returns shipping label that they generated via the Blackcart Customer Portal before the drop-off expiration date. If the customer misses the drop-off expiration date, they will be charged for keeping all Try Before You Buy items in their order.
To extend a customer's drop off period, the order must be in a Drop-Off Pending order status.
Steps for extending the drop-off period
Go to the order page within the Blackcart Merchant Portal.
Click on “Select Actions" on the top right corner.
Select “Extends Drop Off Period” from the drop down menu.
Click the “Run Action” button.
You will be given the option to set a new expiration date
Click into the date field, and select the extension date from the dropdown calendar.
Check the "Notify customer" box to send an email to the customer informing them of the new try period.
Click Run Action.
*Note: The date in the customizable field will automatically default to the current date, which is not the actual Drop-off Period expiration date for the order. Refer to the countdown timer on the customer's Portal Page (accessible via the order page).
A few common scenarios for needing to cancel an order include the items being out of stock after the order is initially placed or the customer reaching out shortly after placing their order with a request to cancel it.
Note that orders can only be cancelled before they are shipped. If you need to cancel an order after it is shipped, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to cancel a Blackcart order:
- Open the order in your Shopify Admin
- Click on More Actions
- From the dropdown menu, click Cancel order
Will any upfront shipping charges be refunded?
If the customer paid for shipping upfront, they will automatically be refunded shipping as long as the order is cancelled prior to any items in the order being fulfilled and shipped.
A common scenario for needing to cancel an item in an order is if an item is out of stock during fulfillment.
The following workflow is supported as long as the item has not yet been shipped:
How to cancel an item in an order (before the item is shipped)
- Open the order in the Shopify Admin
- Click on Refund
- From within the Refund section, use the quantity field to indicate which item you are canceling
- Once updated, the refund amount in the summary section will automatically update with the full value of the product you are cancelling including any taxes. Do not manually adjust the refund amount.
- Click the refund button.
- Once the refund is processed, you will see the order details updated to reflect the canceled product as follows:
If you need to make a price adjustment to a customer's order after it is initially placed, you can do this through our Refund and Refund Allocation workflow.
A common use case for this is if a customer forgets to enter in their discount code during their initial checkout and reaches out to your Customer Support team with a request to apply it to their order.
Refund and Refund Allocation workflow for price adjustments:
- Open the order in your Shopify Admin and click the Refund button
- If you're not refunding an entire product and just making a price adjustment (i.e. giving the customer a $10 off discount), enter in the amount you'd like to reduce the total order by in theRefund Amount section and click the Refund button.
- You will then see the refund amount show up on the order details page in Shopify along with the Net payment updated to reflect the discount you applied as a refund.
- From the Blackcart Merchant Portal order details view, you will also see the refund logged as an adjustment under the Charges section.
If your goal is to discount the total order value by the refunded amount, (i.e. $10), you do not need to take any further action. Once the customer makes their "keep" decision, the total amount charged to them will reflect the additional discount amount added in Shopify as a refund.
- Optional - Allocate Refund
If you'd like the refunded amount to only apply to a specific item or items in the order, you can use the allocate refund action to assign the refunded amount to the desired item.
Step 1- From the Order actions dropdown menu in the top right corner of the order details page, select allocate refund and click the play button. Follow the prompt to go to the refund allocation page.
Step 2- From the Refund Allocation page, allocate the refund as desired. Any remaining refund balance not allocated to a specific product will remain as an order-level refund. ClickSubmit.
Once the customer makes their "keep" decision, the total amount charged to them for each product and order will reflect the original amount less the refunded amount as allocated.
If your program is set up to charge a restocking fee and you run into a case with a customer where you'd like to refund the restocking fee, this will need to be processed by the Blackcart team. Please send your request to email@example.com and our team will be able to process the refund on your behalf.
- navigate to the order details page
- select the actions drop down, click Start Trial and click the Run action button
- You will see the order's status update to "trial-in-progress"
Note that this option is only available once the order is in a shipped status.