How to enable products for Try Before You Buy in Shopify
To activate products in your Store for Try Before You Buy, add a TBYB tag to the product in Shopify (add the tag in all capital letters).
There are two ways to add tags to products.
- You can add the TBYB tag to all products.
- Click Products on the left bar navigation
- In the table header row, click the checkbox to select all products. Check marks should appear next to every product.
- In the same header area, click More Actions dropdown > Add Tags
- Add TBYB as the tag and click Save
- If you need to remove any products from eligibility, you can follow the steps in #2 below and remove the TBYB tag.
- You can add the TBYB tag to an individual product.
- Click on the Product Name
- Scroll down to find Tags input field on right side
- Add TBYB tag
- Click Save in the upper right
The TBYB tag is required for the Try Before You Buy CTA button to be added to the product details page.
Activating TBYB at the variant level
Adding the tag, TBYB will activate all variants of the product for TBYB. If you would like to limit certain variants of products from being eligible for TBYB, you will instead need to include the variant ID in the product tag for eligible variants.
Tag format: TBYB:[variant ID]
(add variant ID without brackets in tag)
With this approach, the Try Before You Buy CTA will only become enabled if and when the tagged variants are selected by the shopper.
Learn how to find your product variant's ID on this Shopify help page: Find a variant ID
You can add two or more tags with the variant IDs included to the Tag field on the product; all of the included variant IDs will be eligible for TBYB.
Example of entering the TBYB tag with a variant ID
Tagging Non Returnable and Non Shippable Products
Blackcart is able to support items that are non shippable (gift-cards, warranties, digital goods) as well as non-returnable items (final sale items). This allows customers to have a more seamless experience with Try Before you Buy, more support for mixed carts, and the ability to not affect fulfilment if a non-shippable product is included in the order.
For Non Return Items see the "Non-Returnable" icon. For Non Shippable Items, they will be grouped within the customer portal under the "Items Not Requiring Shipping" header.
Enabling Products to be Non-Returnable
To enable products to be non-returnable you will need to access your Shopify Products Admin page.
- Find the specific item you wish to update and access that product admin.
- Scroll and locate the tags container.
- Enter bc-noreturn as a tag. You can also have a specific variant tagged with the following:
Another option is to use the bulk editor where you can select multiple product lines and add in the bc-noreturn tag to each of them. Note that this would not work if you intend to tag only products are the variant level.
Next Required Onboarding Tasks
Article is closed for comments.